Migrated on 21st June

Create your own post detailing your experience of joining SSE from start to finish. Use it as a journal to detail when your ordered, when you received communications, connection dates and more!
lugsy3
Migrated on 21st June

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 am

Hi all, lurker on here and HUKD and finally went live yesterday, not overly impressed at all. I used to get 56mbps with BT infinity which suddenly dropped to 36 mbps for some strange reason. Rather than bother to try to sort it out with BT which I knew would be a nightmare I thought about this amazing deal to join. My estimated speed was 46.7mbps but I have 34 mbps so not too shabby but still disappointing.
I had a text saying an engineer would visit on 21st June between 1-6 but as I had BT infinity I knew this was probably not the case. They never came and I woke on the 21st June with no internet so I just plugged it in and got it working , no problems except the speed reduction from the estimate.
I have officially complained about the engineer not turning up and lack of communication from SSE saying I had taken the day off work and also about the disappointing speed drop.
The speed last night was all over the place on several test sites and I couldn't watch a 4k youtube video, just buffered, browsing was ok and general 720p playback was fine. The speed dropped to about 13meg but I will monitor it.
Fortunately due to working evenings I will need the speed during the day so it may suit me but others may find the evening problems a nightmare.

joe pineapples

Re: Migrated on 21st June

Post by joe pineapples » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for the feedback so far lugsy.
Balby exchange (Doncaster) Cab 12

Scotch_Whisky

Post by Scotch_Whisky » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 am

The general speed drop sounds like a line fault to me so a bit unfair to blame SSE. Traffic shaping is obviously causing the poorer performance in the evenings but I guess there has to be some trade off for the very low prices!

I went over to SSE this morning also from BT. Speeds are the same as they were with BT (75/18) at the moment so will be interested to see how much slowdown there is evening. I've also downloaded an HD film from Sky with no problems.

SSE are also insisting that an engineer visit is necessary and that he will call between 1pm and 6pm today. I like yourself know that he will not but feel obliged to be here just in case. I shall also complain as many people are taking a day of work unnecessarily.

I will be interested in how you get on with SSE getting the "line fault" fixed. The main reason I moved from BT was that it took months to get a similar problem with my line resolved.

maui

Post by maui » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Line problems can be a challenge! I had to fight with BT at my old address because engineers could not be bothered to sort the problem, and it was an intermittent fault.

The best way to get a line fault done, is to prove there is something on the line side - not the broadband. Listen carefully when you pick up the phone for any crackle, or fluctuation in sound etc. Once you can prove that is there, an engineer is more likely to dig deeper, rather that troubleshoot a broadband fault (as that requires different / more complex equipment). Try finding a pattern - i.e. is it worse when it rains (water ingress) or windy, certain times of day etc.

Also check you are in the master socket - where the BT cable comes into your house and if you have telephone extensions in your house, remove the faceplate to disconnect them - it all makes a big difference.

I had water ingest on the overhead lines going back to the exchange where pheasant hunters had shot through them with a shotgun in my old house! But had to fight hard to get it fixed.
My latest speedtest Results:

lugsy3

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:40 pm

I know it's not SSE fault with the line and I thought it may just have been BT dropping my speed to infinty 1 because I was downloading a lot lol.
In hindsight I should have got BT to investigate it.
I still think it may be that so I will try to get SSE to fix it. Will let you know how I get on with my email response. I did try to phone but it said they would call me back with 1 and half hours, I didn't have time then. When I first signed up I did phone them and got straight through, another sign that business is booming for them.

Definitely master socket and no extensions used.Luckily enough no pheasant hunters round here, that is some amazing reason you had maui :shock: glad it was sorted though.

lugsy3

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Some of these speedtest sites are all over the place with differences. Spedtest,net said 34mbps , think broadband said 1.8 , how can they be so different. Going to speak to SSE tommorrow as I couldn't stream 4k tonight so guess think broadband correct. Also going to do asa maui done and run automatic tests on testmynet to gather evidence.

maui

Post by maui » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 am

I have not tried too many - I have seen that SSE will try to fob you off with the BT Wholesale speed tester - which last night for me was showing full line speed!

fast.com / testmy.net seem to be an accurate representation at the moment. I am also testing by downloading the same file from a host and taking a screenshot of the speed and time/date.

Example of the speed differences for the exact same file and host:
My latest speedtest Results:

lugsy3

Post by lugsy3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 am

Thanks for the info. I phoned them this morning and they are dealing with my online form complaint and will get back to me. I did ask which speedtest they recommend and it is the BT wholesale but that was full speed last night, but things were definitely not OK.

lugsy3

Post by lugsy3 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:18 pm

I got a phone call today for my complaint on the 21st lol. The lady was very nice and the end result was i have to do 3 speed test results using the BT wholesale broadband performance test page then after the result click further diagnostics then enter phone number I use and the results will be sent to SSE automatically on my account. I have done one now, then tonight at about 10 pm and final one in the morning, then I will get another call tomorrow from SSE to help and put in fault.
Interesting that the test result gives me 34 out of 35 available but on the BT broadband availability checker it gives me a high of 80 low 67 , even impacted 73 and 41 , very strange something not right.
http://i63.tinypic.com/6zshl5.png[/img]]bt wholesale test
http://i65.tinypic.com/2nlh5ag.png[/img]]availability

j1mgg

Post by j1mgg » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 pm

I also tried to download the Ubuntu ISO and it was going to take 5hrs in the evening. I have also registered for a samknows box, but i couldn't even stream 4k content tonight on Netflix.