Configuring your own router for SSE Broadband

For those SSE Broadband customers experiencing technical issues and require assistance
admin
Site Admin
Configuring your own router for SSE Broadband

Post by admin » Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I am waiting for my SSE router and connection to become live. As soon as it does I will post the configuration details required in order to use your own equipment on the service - If you prefer to use your own router rather than the one supplied by SSE Broadband.

If anyone already has the details please reply with the details.

Thanks in advance

someuser08

Re: Configuring your own router for SSE Broadband

Post by someuser08 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:37 pm

If you're already using BT's HG612 you can continue using it with only change of username/password which would be in the format like this:

xxxxxxxxx-southern@ssebb.co.uk

You can find it printed with the bundled software (Internet Security Suite, at least it was last year) - it won't say its for router...

Devilstorment

Post by Devilstorment » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:18 pm

I tried the above with my NetGear router but with no success so would be interested to know if anyone has any guidance on using their own router.

lorien

Post by lorien » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:45 am

How far are you getting ? i.e. is the netgear syncing with the cabinet Ok and it's just the PPP logon that is failing, or is something else going on ?

maui

Post by maui » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:07 pm

The configuration is pretty easy.

Like said earlier the username / password is printed on the 'Internet Security' A5 leaflet included in the SSE Router box.

I entered it into my router (TP-Link VR900) like this:

The VLAN is one important configuration. That needs to be correct - but is the same as BT. I think that's how others have managed to get the BT HomeHub working with SSE.

What model router are you using? Are you sure it's VDSL capable (if using SSE ultrafast fibre)? Not all are, most are ADSL - which is the older standard only capable of 20mbps.
My latest speedtest Results: